Thursday, January 7, 2010

Laundry dramas - any deodorant contact turning red in the wash (same deodorant and laundry liquid for years)?

Hi - I need some help. It is a total mystery...





I have been using the same deodorant (roll on, not anti-perspirant) and laundry liquid for years, yet three weeks ago I did my washing as normal and all my shirts came out with bright red stains wherever they had come into contact with deodorant (concentrated, of course, to the underarm area).





I have soaked in salt water, nappy soaker, laundry soaker. I have pre-wash stain removed with sprays, sticks and creams, and I have bleached (both industrial strength and natural). All that works is hard laundry soap and good old elbow grease. Then I get to do it all again next wash!!





Firstly - can anyone shed some light on this matter? I have now changed deodorant and laundry liquid and it's still happening.





Secondly - can anyone offer any better suggestion to cleaning the stains - the vigorous hand washing required is ripping the fabric.





Any help would be greatly appreciated.Laundry dramas - any deodorant contact turning red in the wash (same deodorant and laundry liquid for years)?
I had a similiar problem myself. In my case, the stains were a result of the fact that the well that fed water to my house was about to dry up; the actual staining was rust, which was apparently attracted to either the anti-perspirant, or the actual perspiration itself.





If you have well water, and if you've tried changing both deodorant and laundry detergent, that may be the problem. Even if you don't have well water, you may have rust in your pipes if you own an older home.





If you really want to try a good test, use the same deodorant and laundry detergent, but take your clothes to a laundry facility one time. If the stains don't occur when you wash the clothes outside of your house, the problem is with your water quality, your pipes, or your well (if applicable.)





Good luck tracking down the problem!Laundry dramas - any deodorant contact turning red in the wash (same deodorant and laundry liquid for years)?
I solved this problem by using deodorants that do not have Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex listed as an ingredient.





Adidas makes one without this stuff. I haven't had any weird color changing going on with my clothes since this change. Report Abuse

Id say your body chemistry has changed. Its not the water rust or anything like that because the clothes would be rusty or cloudy in a lot of places other than arm pits only.





I have a similar problem. It seems that coating on my white shirts is a ';greasy'; polymerized compound of some sort. My shirts can go about 3 washings before i need to clean them out again. I spot clean the underarms using a non clorine bleach purchased here at Krogers its in the powder form and no smell. Once the underarm area is wet well with that bleach solution i apply a wet rag and a hot iron to it for a few seconds. That completely removes it when it passes thru the washer.

No comments:

Post a Comment