Thursday, January 7, 2010

My son has exzema and I only use aveeno bath and aquaphor as lotion and wash in dreft laundry detergent?

he is breaking out no more then before and I haven't changed anything in his diet or otherwise. The doctor gave me 2.5% Hydrocortozone and that doesn't seem to work either. My poor baby scratches and now has little scratch marks around the bumps, what can I do to help him stop itching???My son has exzema and I only use aveeno bath and aquaphor as lotion and wash in dreft laundry detergent?
hey. my 8 month old daughter also has Exzema as well and I cannot wash her clothes in Dreft. Its actually too strong for her. Her peditrician had me to change it to Free %26amp; Clear laundry detergents (with no dyes or scents), which can be found in Gain %26amp; All laundry detergents. Im sure other brands make it but those are the only 2 I have used. I also had to change the diapers I was using because some diaper do have chemicals that are too strong for extremely sensitive babies. I use Huggies Pure %26amp; Natural now. With those changes, my daughter rarely breaks out as much as she did before. I really hope this helps and try changing the laundry detergent for him and see how that does first if you want. Poor baby!


Good Luck,


JessicaMy son has exzema and I only use aveeno bath and aquaphor as lotion and wash in dreft laundry detergent?
Hey im 16 and i've had bad eczema for as long as i can remember. My mum says that I've had it since i was born and she tried so hard to stop me itching as a baby. I can understand exactly how your son feels, with severe eczema it drives you really crazy with the intense itching.


My advice to you would be to use Oilatum as my mum swears by it and says it helped me greatly as a child and can be used on babies as well as adults. I know this may sound abit crazy but when i still get eczema i find that softly tapping my skin rather den itching it can sometimes deal with the itch. You could maybe try that with your son but don't do it too much as it can also become irritating.


Also for daily use for my eczema i use DoubleBase which is a thick gel like substance that really helps and relives my itch. Best of luck to you and your baby! x
The oatmeal baths work well. Make sure that when you use the aquaphor that you slather it on while he is still wet to seal in the moisture. Make sure his baths are no longer than 5-10min is warm but not hot water. I use the purex free %26amp; clear detergent bc even the baby detergents have scent added to them which is irritating for eczema. My son used to scratch himself silly while sleeping bc of itching so bad. While he was really little I put baby socks on his hands bc they stay on better than the little mittens. I quit using them once he had enough hand control to take them off. My sons eczema also seemed to be triggered by allergies - at least that's when it gets worse. After he was 6mo old I started giving him a 1/2 tsp of zyrtec(after checking w our pedi) whenever allergies were getting bad and it helped tremendously. It does get better with age and some babies completely outgrow it by 2 years old. My 20month old doesn't seem to be outgrowing it, but it is much more manageable and only kicks up in a couple spots. Apply the cortizone cream a couple of times a day and it will help the more under control it gets - you can also use the 1% from th drugstore and it will be just as effective as the 2.5% but won't thin the skin as much.





I have read about research of giving them a ';bleach bath'; once a week, but I have been waaaaay to scared to try anything like that. If you are braver than I am you could look into it and talk to your pedi about it.





Good luck and it will get better!!
My goddaughter's dermatologist told me to stop all of the other treatments and use only Dove soap. You might want to take your baby to a dermatologist because there are actually a couple of different ';types'; (for lack of a better word) of excema. My goddaughter's skin doesn't hold onto the moisture in water so she has a different regiment than other kids with the other type of excema. I hope that helps.
two of my children have this too. use vasiline. it works wonders. with my son his is mild so i use baby lotion which works great but my daughter has is really bad. she gets it behind her knees, her neck, arms every where. she was even getting it behind her ears. all the cracks of her body. i used everything even a staroid cream that my doctor gave me which that did work but is not good to use to much. vasiline seems to be the only thing that works. it is thick so it keeps the body covered so it wont dry out any more.
I have really sensitive skin and naturally my son does too. I use Purex Free %26amp; Clear laundry detergent, Dove Sensitive Skin bar soap, and Palmolive Pure %26amp; Clear dish soap with the pediatrician's recommendation. My son had one break out from Johnson's baby wash and once I switched, he hasn't had one since.





Good luck! Hope this helps!
Im glad im not the only one with children suffering from eczema! OK the lil bumps that are forming on the top of the eczema are called maloskims (sp) The only things that worked for the actual eczema was ellidel cream which is very expensive!! Also we did a rare treatment where we have to go to the childrens hospital and they put a type of medication made from a beetle on the bumps... it literally ate them away. After the stuff was on there it just peeled everything away. It was amazing!! I cried because I knew it was a new beginning for my little one! Also be aware that asthma and eczema run hand in hand. Usually a child with one will have the other!!
My son has this as well their isn't much else you can do. His doctor gave me the same. My son's skin has been fine now since the warm summer months but I know fall and winter are coming so I will be back to this again.
have you used the aveno oatmeal baths??? i use those with my kids and it really helps

No comments:

Post a Comment