Thursday, December 24, 2009

How can I wash a pillow in the laundry without it getting all lumpy?

You can send it to the dry cleaners, but since pillows cost like $7.00 why bother? just get a new one. If it's a high end expensive pillow, you wouldn't wash it in the machine anyway...How can I wash a pillow in the laundry without it getting all lumpy?
Don't bother. Wal-mart sells new ones for $3.How can I wash a pillow in the laundry without it getting all lumpy?
Wash two at a time in your washing machine using detergent and then softener in the rince water.





Put several tennis balls in the dryer with the pillow and that will take care of the lumps.
If it's like your favorite pillow I would wash it out in the bath tub with detergent and rinse with fabric softener. Then spin the water out in the washing machine. If it's not a big deal to you then I would just buy a new one. I know I had some feather pillows that I had for yrs, I wouldn't part with them,but they got old and smelly so I finally just gave in and threw them away and bought new ones. They weren't the same but I'm adjusting.
My sons pediatrician actually told me I don't have to ';wash'; my pillows to clean them. He told me to put them in my dryer on a hot heat cycle for 20 to 30 minutes every two weeks. I do this for my sons allergies and I have started to do with all of our pillows. This will kill the dust mites and yuckies in the pillow. I throw a dryer sheet in with my pillow to give a fresh smell. I can't believe how much money I wasted buying new pillows for my son every month when throwing it in the dryer works really well!
I'm afraid not, unless it is a feather pillow. If we're talking the run of the mill foam type, it will be flat and lumpy and sooo uncomfortable. That is why I make my own pillows. I have allergies and need to wash them frequently. Here's what I do! Buy plain white pillow cases and 3 bags of cut foam (litle 1 inch by q inch foam chunks). I get mine in the Wal-Mart craft section. Fill the pillow cases and sew shut (or buy the pillow protector cases that zip shut for an even easier job). When you think how much time you spend on a pillow and how infrequently most people wash them, well, yuck. These pillows are so comfy as you can mold them just how you like them and wash them as much as you like without losing the shape. I make them for all my friends and they have sworn never to go back to conventional pillows again!
  • horses for loan
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment